There are many short term happiness solutions, we all know. Examples of these include parties, concerts, holidays, running, exercising and even mediation. While some or most of these provide quick relief and even impression of happiness, the effects don’t last. Sometimes, the long term side effects, of some of these activities result into more disappointment, frustration, losses and depression.
Then what would be needed for true happiness, and also to make it last ?
I will borrow few words from Sanskrit language to explain these points. The translation in English may not be exact, but I will try to find closest possible words. Sukha – Happiness must contain all of the following three elements; Shanti (Peace, Calmness, Quietness), Santosha (Contentment), and Sadbhavna (Goodwill, Respect, Generosity).
All these elements Peace, Content and Respect are also interrelated and interdependent. One can’t have true peace without being content with themselves and having respect for others. Similarly, it is also difficult to just content and have no peace and generosity towards others.
- Shanti (Peace, Calmness, and Quietness) will create mental clarity, so to make good choices in one’s life.
- Santosha (Contentment) will also help to accept and appreciate what one has, and not be overly greedy or jealous.
- Sadbhavna (Goodwill, Respect, and Generosity) will create platform for growth of pleasure and happiness.
Once we have these three elements – Peace, Contentment and Respect – we can experience true lasting happiness.
Thanks, if you have really read this blog and you like it, please do one of the following:
- If you are feeling little lazy – just click on like
- If you are feeling good write like in the comments
- If you are really feeling excellent, I would appreciate your thoughts and comments on this. Remember knowledge multiplies by dividing it!